Sand Key Park
Sand Key Park is sandwiched between the Gulf of Mexico and Clearwater Pass. It features a dog park, picnic benches and pavilions, grills and playgrounds, concessions and cabana rentals. There also is the beach. There are not too many good places for surfing on Florida's west coast, but when the weather is right, many try here. More than a million visitors a year come to the 95-acre park.
There are nine boardwalks leading to the beach, and nine outdoor shower towers and two bath houses with separate changing stalls and restrooms. A lifeguard is on duty 9am to 5pm daily from March to September. The park also is the base of operations for the Gulf artificial reef program.
The beach welcomes sea turtles who annually nest in the sand. The park also is a great birding trail. It features a salt marsh where heron, roseate spoonbill, great horned owl, anhinga and common moorhen nest and feed.
The park is a great spot for a sunset wedding.Contact Advantus Leisure Management Services to make arrangements for weddings and special events at Sand Key.
- Fax: (727) 588-4854
- Handicap Accessible: Parking available
- Founding Date: 1984
- Parking: Paid lot
- When's the best time of day to visit this beach?: Any sunny day.
- Public/Private: Public
- Type: Ocean
- Common activities: Fishing, Picnicking, Surfing
- Facilities: Boardwalk, Restrooms, Showers
- Restrictions: No alcohol
- Features: Beach, Benches, Grills, Picnic pavilions, Picnic tables, Playgrounds
- Services: Ranger, Restrooms, Showers
- Area: 95 acres