The Pat Lokey building, which has stood in downtown Clearwater for 98 years, is likely to be torn down in December, the Tampa Bay Times reports.
The city-owned building, located at the southeast corner of Cleveland Street and Osceola Avenue next to the Capitol Theatre, is slated to be knocked down and replaced, according to officials.
The 1914 structure, one of the oldest in northern Pinellas County, was originally going to be part of the Capitol's upcoming year-long renovation. But officials decided it isn't sturdy enough to handle the load needed for a planned rooftop terrace, wraparound balcony and more to be added on top, the Times reports.
The Lokey building, named after a local businesswoman who owned a high-end women's clothing shop there through the 1990s, was originally home to the Clearwater Evening Sun newspaper, according to the Times.
- Capitol Theatre Renovations Could Start Soon
- Capitol Theatre Expansion Uproots Blue Dahlia Marketplace
- Capitol Theatre Turns 90 Today