The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office arrested and charged 12 people including seven for DUI during a sobriety checkpoint Saturday in Clearwater.
A total of 408 vehicles went through the checkpoint from 12:30 to 3:30 a.m. near , 6255 Ulmerton Road, according to officials.
About 40 officers from various divisions including patrol, prisoner transport, canine and narcotics deputies diverted 102 drivers through the checkpoint looking for alcohol- and drug-impaired drivers, according to officials.
They also looked for other traffic violations including driver license, registration, insurance and equipment violations.
The average stop time for non-impaired drivers was 1 minutes and 49 seconds, according to officials.
The results of the checkpoint include:
- seven DUIs
- two driving while license suspended or revoked
- one no valid driver license
- one violation of business purposes only restriction
- 15 citations
Call Sgt. Nicholas Lazaris, Patrol Operations North Division, at 727-582-6200 for information about the checkpoints.
More checkpoints are planned this weekend:
- 8-11 p.m. Friday (Dec. 16) at Berea Baptist Church, 370 Alternate U.S. 19, Palm Harbor
- 12:30-3:30 a.m. Saturday (Dec. 17) at , 26996 U.S. 19 N, Clearwater