After unwrapping those new gadgets, electronics or jewelry gifts, don't let criminals know by throwing the boxes out at the curb.
The city is offering five dropoff locations for disposing gift boxes and other packaging from Dec. 26-31. It is called Operation Safe Disposal.
"When you leave these boxes just a few feet from your front door, it's very easy for someone to figure out what you have inside your home," deputy chief Sandra Wilson said in a news release. "This could make you an easy target for a burglar."
The dropoff locations are:
- Clearwater Police Headquarters, 645 Pierce St.
- Clearwater Police Countryside Substation, 2851 N. McMullen Booth Road
- Clearwater Police Beach Substation, 700 Bayway Blvd.
- Clearwater Solid Waste/General Services, 1701 N. Hercules Ave.
- Clearwater Fire Station 49, 565 Sky Harbor Drive
Also, keep a record of valuable gifts by documenting make, model, serial numbers and a detailed description. Download a form here.