An undercover operation conducted by Clearwater Police resulted in the arrests of nine clerks on charges of selling alcohol to persons under 21 Friday night.
The Beach Anti-Crime Team teamed up with Americorp Members to send minors into stores to purchase alcohol from 5 to 11:30 p.m. Feb. 15. Several establishments refused to sell alcohol to the minors, according to a Clearwater Police release.
The following store clerks were arrested and charged with selling alcohol to a person under 21. All clerks were released with a Notice to Appear with the exception of Loren Jones, who authorities say had a prior offense for the same charges.
The businesses and clerks include:
- Avraham Simon, age 39, Shorty's Groceries (formally USAG Groceries),1271 Gulf Blvd.
- Maria Joaquin, age 22, Surf Style, 315 S. Gulfview Blvd.
- Lissett Diego, age 43, Havana Exclusive Cigars, 400 Mandalay Ave.
- Loren Jones, age 70, CVS Drug Store, 467 Mandalay Ave.
- Danielle Haskins, age 40, Shipwreck Bar, 647 N. Mandalay Ave.
- Jared Crowford, age 26, Hess, 441 Chestnut St.
- Tawfiq Almalki, age 46, Pops Food Mart, 1208 N. Fort Harrison Ave.
- Ahmed Daoud, age 49, North Garden Discount Food, 1504 N. Garden Ave.
- Sameh Khalifa, age 30, Sunoco, 706 Drew St.
*updated 9:40 a.m. Feb. 17, 2013
Sign up for the free Clearwater Patch email newsletter to stay connected to your community.