In the food world, there are some flavor combinations that are just pure gold.
Chocolate and coffee is a match made in culinary heaven. In a limited amount of time, you can create a very impressive Chocolate Espresso Toffee.
It takes a bit of skill to get the toffee to the soft crack stage, but don't be intimidated. This recipe is beautiful to look at and even better to eat! It's sure to become one of your favorite "go-to" dessert recipes.
Chocolate Espresso Toffee
Makes 2 pounds
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 1/4 cups butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup each milk chocolate chips and white chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter or spray a 10-by-15-inch sheet pan, or cover it with parchment paper.
2. In a shallow pan, bake the nuts at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes or until toasted, stirring halfway through cooking time. Allow them to cool for 30 minutes.
3. Using a large, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in all remaining ingredients with the exception of the milk chocolate and white chocolate chips. Stir constantly until a candy thermometer reaches the soft crack stage of 290 degrees. This should take about 20 minutes.
4. Immediately remove the pan from heat and stir in the nuts. Then quickly pour the mixture onto your prepared sheet pan, spreading evenly in the pan. Don't worry if it won't cover the entire pan.
5. Quickly pour both the milk chocolate chips and white chocolate chips all over the top of the mixture, allow them to melt, and swirl them using the tip of a knife. Cover and refrigerate the mixture for one hour, or until firm.
To serve, cut through the toffee and break it off into sections. You can store this in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Chef's tip: Some butters have higher water contents than others. You want one with a lower water content. I prefer Land O' Lakes brand for this recipe.
Love coffee? Don't miss the Starbucks Double Shot and Frappucino deal in this week's edition of .