1. A ceremonial groundbreaking kicked off a 10-month construction effort to expand and rehabilitate the Capitol Theatre, one of the state's oldest theaters, in downtown Clearwater.
2. The number of citations mailed to red light running vehicle owners is decreasing, according to Clearwater Police. There were 807 violations in November, down from 1,145 in August, the first month the camera tickets were issued. The tickets come with a $158 fine.
3. Officials approved spending $7,500 to bring in Peter Kageyama, an expert in downtown development, for a two-part event, which includes a $1,500 luncheon at Island Way Grill and awarding two $500 grants to help promote downtown.
4. A car mistimes a light change, making Clearwater Police's Red Light Camera Violator of the Week.
5. A Clearwater man in a BMW ran a red light at the Curlew and McMullen Booth road intersection, killing a 54-year-old Holiday man in a pickup truck, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. As it turns out, the BMW was stolen a year ago from a Clearwater home, according to Clearwater Police.
6. A Seminole man is dead after crashing his motorcycle near the busy Belcher Road and Drew Street intersection, according to Clearwater Police. Speed was not a factor and the motorcyclist was wearing a helmet, according to police.