You don’t have to tell business owners along US 19 the road has changed in recent years.
as crews work on changing a 2.7 mile section from a stop lit, median separated road into a limit-access highway, a survey is asking for opinions from stakeholders including business owners and residents about future land use changes for the commercial corridor.
An overview of the corridor study will be presented to the City Council at 1 p.m. Monday (March 12).
The study is looking for recommendations dealing with land use, design, sustainability and economic development impacting property fronting US 19 between Belleair and Curlew Road. The study area also includes the commercial corridor defined by Gulf to Bay Boulevard, Drew Street and North McMullen Booth Road.
The final study, expected to be finished this fall, would include recommendations on the mix of land uses, intensity of development, and the character of building, site, and landscape improvements. The study also looks for insight in improving vehicle, pedestrian and bike connections and promote more sustainable forms and patterns of development.
Focus groups will be held to discuss the plan with additional public workshops scheduled for May. Residents can also offer thoughts on the US 19 Mind Mixer website. The questions on the site ask what uses would you like to see along the road and how can the destinations along the road be improved.
Anyone can come to the public meetings, however opinions from specific groups are being sought:
- Car dealers: from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. March 13 at Grimaldi’s Pizzeria, 27001 US Highway 19 N
- Retailers and offices: from 2 to 3 p.m. March 13 at , 24546 US Highway 19 N.
- Neighborhood association leaders and property managers: from 5:30 to 7 p.m. March 13 at , 2640 Sabal Springs Drive.
- Realtors, developers and architects: from 8 to 9:30 a.m. March 14 at , 18167 US Highway 19 N Suite #200
- Entertainment and lodging: from 2 to 3 p.m. March 14 at , 24546 US Highway 19 N.
Visit myus19plan.com or call Cate Lee, project manager, at (727) 562-4557.