Seven Arrested for DUI At Sobriety Checkpoint
The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office arrested and charged 12 people with DUI during a sobriety checkpoint Saturday in Clearwater.
The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office arrested and charged 12 people including seven for DUI during a sobriety checkpoint Saturday in Clearwater.
A total of 408 vehicles went through the checkpoint from 12:30 to 3:30 a.m. near National Aviation Academy, 6255 Ulmerton Road, according to officials.
About 40 officers from various divisions including patrol, prisoner transport, canine and narcotics deputies diverted 102 drivers through the checkpoint looking for alcohol- and drug-impaired drivers, according to officials.
They also looked for other traffic violations including driver license, registration, insurance and equipment violations.
The average stop time for non-impaired drivers was 1 minutes and 49 seconds, according to officials.
The results of the checkpoint include:
- seven DUIs
- two driving while license suspended or revoked
- one no valid driver license
- one violation of business purposes only restriction
- 15 citations
Call Sgt. Nicholas Lazaris, Patrol Operations North Division, at 727-582-6200 for information about the checkpoints.
More checkpoints are planned this weekend:
- 8-11 p.m. Friday (Dec. 16) at Berea Baptist Church, 370 Alternate U.S. 19, Palm Harbor
- 12:30-3:30 a.m. Saturday (Dec. 17) at KMart, 26996 U.S. 19 N, Clearwater