More than 400 intersections in Florida have red light cameras, including a couple in Clearwater.
According to a new report by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, 56 percent of communities surveyed noticed a total reduction in crashes at intersections with red light cameras.
- 43 percent - noticed a reduction in side impact crashes
- 41 percent - noticed a reduction in rear-end crashes
- 56 percent - noticed a total reduction in crashes
In total, 73 agencies responded to the survey and included information between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012.
"Agencies reported that in addition to the decrease in total crashes, traffic safety improved throughout the jurisdiction as drivers were more cautious when approaching all intersections," according to the Florida Red Light Camera Annual Report Survey - which is attached to this article.
During the surveyed period these agencies issued 999,929 Notices of Violation. Of those, 20,064 were challenged and eventually nearly 70 percent of those challenged were dismissed.
Being caught running a red light on camera comes with a $158 ticket.
Red Light Cameras in Clearwater:
In Clearwater, red light running violations at intersections with cameras have decreased each monthsince citations started to be issued. There were 1,036 in September, 907 in October and 807 in November, according to Clearwater Police.
- eastbound Gulf to Bay at Belcher Road
- westbound Gulf to Bay at Belcher Road
- eastbound Chestnut Street at Ft. Harrison Avenue
The state gets $100 of every ticket, and the city splits its revenues with the Arizona company that installs and maintains the cameras. Clearwater pays Redflex Traffic Systems $13,000 a month.
- Cameras Cut Red Light Running in Clearwater
- Clearwater Red-Light Cameras Spy More Than 1,000 Violators in August
- City Approves Red Light Camera Proposal
- Red Light Camera Locations in Clearwater
- Red Light Cameras Running in Clearwater
- Red Light Camera Violator of the Week: On a Boat
- Red Light Camera Violator of the Week: Cadillac Careens Through State Road 60
- Video: How Do Red Light Cameras Work?
- Red Light Camera Violator of the Week: Green Might Not Mean Go
- Red Light Cameras: Legal or Unconstitutional?