The Lokey Building, one of the city's oldest structures, is being torn this week as part of plans to renovate the Capitol Theatre in downtown Clearwater.
Osceola Avenue between Cleveland and Pierce streets is closed this week for the demolition.
The 1914 structure was originally going to be part of the Capitol's upcoming year-long renovation. Plans included incorporating the building and converting it into a grand lobby, concession areas, and restrooms for the theatre, which would then be able to seat 655.
But officials decided it isn't sturdy enough to handle the load needed for a planned rooftop terrace, wraparound balcony and more to be added on top. Plans call for restoring and expanding the Mediterranean Revival look.
The Lokey building, named after a local businesswoman who owned a high-end women's clothing shop there through the 1990s, was originally home to the Clearwater Evening Sun newspaper.
Got old photos of the theater, or recent ones of the demolition? Add them to our gallery by clicking the green "Upload Photos and Videos" button with this story.