Letter to the Editor: Clearwater Airpark Runway Expansion
Bob Gibson, a Clearwater resident who owns a plane and lives near the airpark, shared his thoughts about the runway expansion.
As a resident of Clearwater...
I don't own a boat and never use the marina - but I understand that facility serves a number of Clearwater residents with that interest.
My home is in the Coachman Ridge Subdivision, which is walking distance to Bright House Networks Field. I have never attended a baseball game there - and often have to endure the noise from the explosions of the fireworks after the game - but I accept that the field and its supporters were there long before I moved into the neighborhood.
I don't visit many of Clearwater's parks (although I do ride my bike on the Ream Wilson Trail) - but I know many Clearwater residents use and enjoy the parks.
I don't golf, but I don't opbject to a golf course for those who participate in that sport. And the golf course "open space" is a safety buffer for the airpark.
You may not use the airport personally, but:
- It is used by many Clearwater residents for recreation and business, which contributes to our city's economic well-being.
- It "pays its own way" without local taxpayer subsidies.
- It has provided flight training for professional pilots and astronauts
- It provides considearble relief to St. Petersburg/Clearwater International Airport and Albert Whitted
- All of these facilities - including the airpark - add to the richness and diversity that makes Clearwater the desirable community that it is.