Five Things to Know Today
Fallen officer salute, AmeriCorps Clearwater is looking for recruits, sea turtle nesting season starts and more is going on in Clearwater Tuesday (May 1).
1. What a way to welcome the start to the sea turtle nesting season. Expect a mostly sunny day with a 20 percent chance of showers after 2 p.m. and a high near 87, according to the National Weather Service.
2. Got a question for the mayor? Find out how Mayor George Cretekos' first few weeks on the job have gone when he talks and takes questions at the Clearwater Beach Association meeting at 6 p.m. at the Beach Library and Recreation Center, 69 Bay Esplanade.
3. AmeriCorps Clearwater is recruiting for four open positions to serve 900 hours between June 11 to Dec. 14. Potential applicants can get full details from the website or by emailing Karen.Maldonado@myclearwater.com or calling 727-562-4142. Applications are due by May 18.
4. After making six saves, helping the Rowdies top Ft. Lauderdale 3-1 Saturday, former Clearwater Charger and current Rowdy goalkeeper Jeff Attinella was named the North American Soccer League Defensive Player of the Week, according to rowdiessoccer.com. "It was a big win for our team and this award is definitely a credit to our defense, which has been playing well all year," Attinella said in a release.
5. Clearwater Police's four fallen officers Harry L. Conyers (1967), Peter M. Price (1969), John F. Passer (1970) and Ronald J. Mahony (1977) will be honored at the 31st annual Clearwater Police Officer Memorial Service ceremony at 10 a.m. Friday at Station Square Park, 612 Cleveland St. The ceremony features a roll call to the fallen Florida police officers in 2011, a wreath laying and 21-gun salute.