Courtney Campbell Improvements Coming
A 5.3 mile stretch of the scenic highway will be repaved, some sidewalks and a multi-use trail will also be added during the nearly year and a half project which starts April 22.
One of the area's scenic highways is about to get a facelift.
Crews will be repaving a part of the Courtney Campball Causeway, adding sidewalks to a portion of it and a multi-use trail starting April 22. The $8.4 million project is expected to be finished summer 2013.
Work to repave the 5.3 mile portion of the Courtney Campbell Causeway between the Pinellas County line to Rocky Point Drive will take place at night from 8 p.m. to 6:30 a.m.
Drivers should use caution as some of the road could be rough and uneven during the work. There also could be lane closures.
The work also includes:
- repaving the access road on the north side of State Road 60 from the Pinellas County line to Rocky Point Drive. The road could be closed during some of this work.
- adding a five foot sidewalk on the north side of the road between Bay Harbor Drive and the Westin Resort.
- building a 12 foot wide multi-use trail on the south side of the road between the west end of Ben T. Davis Beach and Bayport Drive.
- replacing traffic signals at Ben T. Davis Beach and the boat ramp with hurricane resistant poles.
- replacing guard rails along that section of road.