9 Clerks Accused of Selling Alcohol to Minors
Nine clerks from Clearwater Beach and downtown businesses were arrested and charged with selling alcohol to a person under 21 after an undercover operation Friday night, according to Clearwater Police.
An undercover operation conducted by Clearwater Police resulted in the arrests of nine clerks on charges of selling alcohol to persons under 21 Friday night.
The Beach Anti-Crime Team teamed up with Americorp Members to send minors into stores to purchase alcohol from 5 to 11:30 p.m. Feb. 15. Several establishments refused to sell alcohol to the minors, according to a Clearwater Police release.
The following store clerks were arrested and charged with selling alcohol to a person under 21. All clerks were released with a Notice to Appear with the exception of Loren Jones, who authorities say had a prior offense for the same charges.
The businesses and clerks include:
- Avraham Simon, age 39, Shorty's Groceries (formally USAG Groceries),1271 Gulf Blvd.
- Maria Joaquin, age 22, Surf Style, 315 S. Gulfview Blvd.
- Lissett Diego, age 43, Havana Exclusive Cigars, 400 Mandalay Ave.
- Loren Jones, age 70, CVS Drug Store, 467 Mandalay Ave.
- Danielle Haskins, age 40, Shipwreck Bar, 647 N. Mandalay Ave.
- Jared Crowford, age 26, Hess, 441 Chestnut St.
- Tawfiq Almalki, age 46, Pops Food Mart, 1208 N. Fort Harrison Ave.
- Ahmed Daoud, age 49, North Garden Discount Food, 1504 N. Garden Ave.
- Sameh Khalifa, age 30, Sunoco, 706 Drew St.
*updated 9:40 a.m. Feb. 17, 2013
Sign up for the free Clearwater Patch email newsletter to stay connected to your community.